Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Our French Sister. By: Alex Delotch Davis for Shukorina.com



I’ll bet you didn’t know that Atlanta had a French sister.  Sister city that is.  Toulouse is the French sister city to Atlanta.  It’s a cultural designation meaning that we look to learn about our respective cultures from each other.  In addition, Atlanta joins with the French consulate each year to host France-Atlanta, a “series of French-American events centered on innovation and designed to breathe new life into the cooperation between France and the Southeast US.”  The series takes place from October 26-November 12, 2011.   




In the meantime, I thought I would share some information I just learned about my new sister.  “Toulouse, France, located nearly 400 miles southwest of Paris, is known as the Ville Rose (the Pink City) as many of its buildings are made of reddish-pink bricks. On clear summer evenings when the sun descends, the city’s buildings blush.”

Toulouse is also the hometown of graffiti artist Fafi. You may or may not know the name, but Fafi is a big deal. A graffiti artist who went from tagging walls to tagging Chanel bags and a line of linens at Collette, she’s the epitome of street to chic.    



I love travel, and I think it’s even better to do it in a non-traditional way.  Everybody goes to Paris, but Toulouse sounds so sweet.  Here’s more about traveling there from one of my favorite blogs.  


Alex Delotch Davis for Shukorina.com