Monday, August 01, 2011

Glad I didn't tuck my ears! By: Alex Delotch Davis for Shukorina.com

Prabal Gurung is a visionary designer from Nepal. I love him for two reasons besides his quintessential feminine yet modern lines – it’s as if he channels a contemporary version of the ‘60’s siren. His Spring 2011 collection was like a catty cross between Marilyn Monroe and Jackie Onassis propelled into the future. But I digress.

If this is how Prabal parties, I definitely want to party with him.
Picture: Curtesy of Fab Sugar


I also love Prabal because giving back to his native Nepal is part of  his business philosophy. Whatever part of his soul that’s driven to make women look beautiful is also driven to protect them. When he won the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Award, he applied part of his winnings to Shikshya, a charity started by the designer and his siblings to educate girls orphaned by mothers who are victims of human trafficking. Not only that, but a portion of the sales of his knitwear are also directed toward the charity. (Vogue, August 2011)


Twitter:
@prabalgurung: My foundation:Shikshya Foundation Nepal is helping 23 underprvlgd girls w education. I blv in empowering women here’s y http://t.co/mUg8dZx

The other reason making him a clear favorite of mine is that he uses models with protruding ears. As a girl who grew up completely self conscious about my own protruding ears (I even once considered an ear tuck. What!!) I appreciate the message he's sending to girls who share this particular insecurity. 

Thank you Prabal!

By: Alex Delotch Davis for Shukorina.com